As we look back on 2014, Anakbayan NJ is humbled and awed by the ongoing support and love of our families, friends, supporters and allies. Thank you all so much for your belief and commitment to our work! This past year was a big transitioning stage for our chapter, and we welcome the new year as a strong and growing group of Filipino youth and students. In these early days of 2015, we look back on our accomplishments and reflect on lessons learned.
Here are some of our accomplishments in 2014:
- Initiated Taskforce Haiyan NJ to sustain fundraising for the Philippines in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan, and to educate the community about the political problems underlying the natural disaster.
- Successfully pushed for the passage of a Jersey City council resolution in support of Temporary Protected Status, which would grant immigration relief to Filipinos here in the US.
- Sent two delegates on a relief and rebuilding mission trip to the Philippines with Kapit Bisig Kabataan Network in response to the devastation of Typhoon Haiyan.
- Coordinated to form the Filipino American Youth Contingent at the People’s Climate March in NYC last September
- Confronted Pres. Noynoy Aquino in a militant action at Columbia University, exposing his failures to the Filipino people, especially Typhoon Haiyan survivors and the peasant farmers on the Cojuangco-owned Hacienda Luisita.
- Led the labor case of two Filipino nursing home workers who were unjustly terminated from their jobs by providing access to legal resources and gathering community support.
- Took an active role in the formation of new local alliances and organizations, namely the New Jersey Youth for Immigrant Liberation and the Filipino Immigrant and Workers Organizing Project.
- Held a community forum in Jersey City on President Barack Obama’s Executive Action on Immigration, which extended deferred action to millions of undocumented immigrants in the United States
- Joined, and helped organize, protests against police brutality following the non-indictment verdicts for the cases of Mike Brown and Eric Garner, two black men murdered by police officers to call for an end to the culture of impunity within the police and military, and for justice for victims of extrajudicial killings
- Celebrated 9 years of organizing and elected a new Executive Committee!
Here are some things we are planning to work in 2015:
- Education as a Human Right – As part of a national Anakbayan USA campaign, we will be launching a local campaign against student debt to fight for the right of all youth to an education.
- Filipino Workers Case — We hope to turn the case of the two Filipino nursing home workers into a full-fledged campaign to finally help them secure justice and raise awareness on the conditions of Filipino migrant workers here in the United States.
- Help for the Philippines – Organize for another solidarity & relief mission to the Philippines in the summer and send delegates to an additional exposure trip in November for the International League of People’s Struggle Conference.
- Focus on building a strong base of Filipino youth and student leaders in Jersey City to fight and address the needs of the local community.
- We will continue educating, organizing and mobilizing the youth for the rights and welfare of our communities here in New Jersey and back home in the Philippines.
As a movement upholding the principle of self-reliance, members and supporters are the source of our organization’s funds and resources. Please consider making a donation to Anakbayan-NJ ($5, $10, $25, $100+ ) so that we can continue serving the people in the new year. We hope to accomplish a goal of $500 by the end of January 2015!
We are still in the process of harnessing our financial machinery. You can send donations in a variety of ways:
1. VENMO- Sign up for a Venmo account (it’s FREE). Send the amount you can to “Anakbayan NJ”, or email@example.com using the application for your computer, iPhone, or Android device.
2. PAYPAL– If you prefer not to make a Venmo account but would like to donate online, you can send your donation to the PayPal link below. This is connected to our Vice Chairperson’s account who will confirm receipt of your payment shortly after.
3. CASH/ CHECK- pay to the order of “CASH”, write “ANAKBAYAN NJ” on the memo, and mail to Anakbayan NJ, c/o Social Justice House, 125 Glenwood Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306, or email firstname.lastname@example.org with “2015 Donation” on the subject line to arrange pick up from one of our executive committee members.
Additionally, here are non-monetary ways you can help and support Anakbayan:
- JOIN – Join the movement! Become a member of Anakbayan now. Schedule an orientation by emailing email@example.com
- FOLLOW – Stay updated and spread the word about us through social network accounts (twitter, facebook: Anakbayan NJ, Anakbayan NY, Instagram)
- JOIN A RELIEF MISSION TO THE PHILIPPINES- Anakbayan NJ is a member of Kapit Bisig Kabataan Network, a national Filipino American youth and student-led relief network built in response to Typhoon Haiyan and future disasters. Sign up here by January 12, 2015.
Your donation and support will help us continue fighting for justice and genuine democracy both here in New Jersey and back home in the Philippines! Salamat and we wish you all a happy new year!
With love and solidarity,
Anakbayan New Jersey Family